Thread: Success Stories
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2023, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by LoveMyAHusband View Post
Having now read through all of these, I noticed that in almost every single one of these stories the outcome is the family breaking up. While I agree that this is the best option in many cases, is the outlook really that bleak for our family? It’s disheartening to hear so few stories where families were able to navigate recovery. It makes me feel like we are fighting a losing battle, which I don’t think is fair given that my husband is really throwing himself into recovery in a most encouraging way. Not that everything is perfect - this is all tricky to navigate. But it’s been mostly good so far (day 8 today - early days).
I don't think the outlook is that bleak. By and far what will determine the chance of success is your Husband not drinking, period. I think you have two things working in your favour:

As you said, your relationship wasn't on the cusp of breaking down before he left the house.
He seems to be digging in and taking this seriously.

There are things that may trip him up, a bad day at work an argument, car won't start - anything that can put any of us in a less than stellar mood. How he handles that and even positive things (like a celebration) will be a good indicator of where he is at.

He's just at the beginning. How are you doing, are you two able to talk about issues (not just relationship stuff) but him having to leave the house, his parents, any of that, or have you put that on the back burner for now. Do you feel that at this point he is determined to not drink again?