Thread: Lixie's journal
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Thankfully my mind won the fight and I went home and watched heaps of #sobermotivation videos. Now I am curled up on the couch with my partner eating nachos and watching MasterChef Australia, and I am calm and confident. So happy that I didn't cave!
There will come a time, in the not so distant future, when you will not have to fight a craving to keep from caving. You will just not cave. You will still have something on the order of cravings, but you will just shake your head at the silliness of the thoughts. You will no longer do battle, but you will always have to make a choice. That will never change, but it is not at all like battling for your life. Here is where you will not resort to brute force will power, but rather to rational thought, knowing in your heart that one drink is the first step back to misery, and knowing that your AV is capable of making arguments that can seem reasonable. Reasonable or not, just always remember you can't drink without finding yourself back in that dark hole. You will be a strong person for all practical purposes, but never strong enough to drink like a normal person. But normal person or not, you are going to like yourself tons better.