Old 04-09-2023, 06:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
VikingGF

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
I feel like I wont ever have fun again - using the example of my birthday yesterday - it was lovely, nice food, relaxed company and I went to bed sober and woke up today hangover free - but I feel like it was all a bit serious - we didn't laugh like we used to and after a few hours I was ready to go home - I was at home with tea by 7pm.
I'm quite honesty bored.
I'm going to attempt to paint some woodwork today which should keep me busy - but it's not fun is it!
Anyway I'm going to stop moaning now haha - I'm grateful to be sober.
Part of working on sobriety is learning new behaviors and allowing ourselves to recognize what is real enjoyment- we had been fooling ourselves for so long with false enjoyment. Your birthday sounds perfect to me- no drama, no yelling, no unwanted behaviors or actions, no memory loss, no hangover. The laughter will come- I laugh more now, and more genuinely than I have in my whole life, and it takes TIME. In earlier recovery, the struggle can be significant, and you don't have a chance to feel true enjoyment- and that's something that will change, too, we have all been there at some point. All I can say is you are doing great, overforty, and keep on going. It will get better.