View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
trailmix

hi Shamrock. Well certainly she can't deal with the bipolar if she is drinking.

It sounds like you are done. That's ok, you don't have to be anywhere you don't want to be. I would sit down (hopefully in a moment when she is sober) and explain to her that you have had enough and that you have decided to separate.

I would then explain the logistics (where are you going and when? Are there financial obligations for her? If she is leaving, when will that happen). So basically you need a plan.

Now, keeping in mind, this may be out of left field for her, you have had days, weeks, years to think about this, she hasn't, so her response could be anything. You may want to have the discussion then come back to it the next day or the day after. Perhaps even say, let's talk about this plan again on - Saturday morning.

Only you can decide if this is negotiable (the separation). If it's really not, then it should be made clear. Alternately, if you want to salvage something, perhaps you would need to tell her she needs to go to rehab, right away and get her bi polar attended to. Then perhaps see how that goes.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Nothing easy about this, I know, but it is important to focus on your wellbeing as well. Congratulations on being in recovery.