Old 03-01-2023, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
edoering

I actually liked Nar-Anon better, as both NA and Nar-anon use more generalized language regarding spirituality and faith. Also, the culture suited me better. And I remember being able to speak about what we were experiencing more openly.

My ex-AH was very active in NA while we were together, so I often went to meetings with him where I got familiar with the format and learned so much about addiction from addicts. We also made lots of friends that way and participated in community activities. I was fortunate to be close with his sponsor and others who still communicated with me in a loving and supportive way after my ex’s relapse. This made my transition into Nar-Anon for myself easier. I don’t currently attend, but I do love this forum, and still meet with my friends from these different groups. I also never hesitate to get back in a meeting when I can tell I need it! Or to read the materials as now I find it soothing 😅

All that is to say, yes, outside chats help so much! And yes, the culture of a meeting group varies from neighborhood to neighborhood and can change overtime as the consistent members change. Finding “your people” I think is the most important part of finding a meeting that will really help. I also advocate for attending a meeting of NA or AA as support if possible. You won’t get to speak, but different topics are broached, and it taught me so much.