Old 02-23-2023, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
novips

My experience is with A.A., but my wife is active in Al-Anon. What your post elicits in me -- based both on my own experience and what I have learned from my wife -- is that one of the things we have to do is actively build up a fellowship around us outside the meetings. To that end, one suggestion I have been given is to commit to asking one person for their phone number after each meeting and then calling that person before the next meeting. Importantly, if you are like me you will not want to do this -- but do it anyway. When you call, just be as honest as you can. For example, you might simply let the person know that the time limit on sharing in meetings has felt stifling and you could use a little more time to vent. You will reach people's voicemails and sometimes people won't call you back -- but none of that matters. The mere act of being willing to make the call is a spiritual act and if you commit to it you will eventually start to build up the network of support you are seeking. Oh, and you should get a sponsor.