Thread: Dry Feb
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 06:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Zebra1275

"I feel ridiculous for not just committing to recovery, rather than “Dry February”.

You don't need to. All you need to do is "take it one day at a time" and not drink today.

When you wake up tomorrow morning, you will be glad that you did. Then tomorrow, do the "one day at a time" thing and just don't drink on that day. The key is to just repeat this, day after day. That's how a consecutive day sobriety streak is made. I learned how to do this, and make it through the tough days and all the crap that life can through at you, from the experiences of other members in AA. The AA program itself was not a magical thing for me. What was, was the fellowship of other people like me who were a few years ahead of me on the sobriety journey.

I tried to quit drinking countless times before I crashed and burned. I realized later that I was relying on the advice of a drunk, on how to get sober. That drunk was me when I tried to do it alone. And another thing, the only time I ever called myself an alcoholic, was at an AA meeting. I don't like the label. But that's really just semantics, I had a drinking problem and I knew it. Now I'm recovered and I don't have a drinking problem. But if I have a beer today, I will go back to having a drinking problem.