View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by LoveMyAHusband View Post
I think. But then I wonder if I’d let him stay if he would’ve found it easier to stay strong. Gosh, this is SO HARD.
You are doing your best and I know you are probably super worried. As someone who has been on both side of the fence (I am an alcoholic and I was also in a relationship with an alcoholic/serial relapser who unlike your husband was abusive), I can assure you that him being with you or not changes nothing.

It would not be easier to stay strong if his addictive voice is being really loud and he doesn't know how to manage it. Being with you would just make the logistics of drinking more difficult but if he wants to, there is nothing you could do to stop him. God knows I tried with my X and drove myself half crazy trying to help him and blaming myself at times.

I took him to rehab, detoxes, meetings you name it and I would always take him back when he walked out of rehabs etc. because I thought that being with me would help him be stronger.

I am really glad I joined Al Anon (this was over 20 years ago).
This gave me the tools to focus on myself and deal with some of my codependency issues rather than keep trying to fix another alcoholic (and neglect my own program and drive myself nuts in the process).

Whatever he does this weekend is HIS choice and has nothing to do with your decision to protect yourself and stick to your boundaries.
You didn't Cause it
You can't Control it.
You can't Cure it.

What you do this weekend is also you choice. You can drive yourself crazy with worries and what ifs or you can chose to let go of the outcome and have a good weekend and do some nice activities you enjoy or chores which need done.