View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Welcome aboard , congratulations on your decision.

" this is Day One. I'm committing to give an honest account of my attempt to remain sober."

Honesty in all things is the best course( with the proviso of referencing mother in law and cooking). But self honesty , the internal no bs voice/thinking is the most important. And the form that 'conversation' takes place is in your own words/vocabulary.

An attempt to remain sober implies a state of non-soberness presumably brought on by some circumstance one finds one's self in with an assumed level of inevitability. This framing is coming from the addiction( the AV, great discussions on AVRT here on SR in the secular recovery forums).

I tried in vain to remain sober, countless times. When I resolved to never put alcohol in my mouth again , no matter what, the remaining sober approach fell to the wayside , was no longer a concern. It may seem like just a semantic trick , and even if it is, quitting for me was dependent on operating from this mindset.

The AV 'sounds' just like me , it is a part of me, but to override Its command of My vocabulary , I had to consciously scan the 'conversation' and purposely identify what concepts I was using( and thinking with) for what they actually denote and the connotations that could lead me from the objective of quitting.

Remaining sober is the default human condition , in the AV's framing your default condition is drinking, in Its framing sobriety is a result of the 'action' of not drinking, do you see what It is doing there ?