Old 11-07-2022, 11:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Farrier

Update

Welp, it's November 7th, 2022 and I am still living in a home for sober men. Today I am 182 days sober and will gratefully receive my 6 month sobriety chip this Friday evening.

My 8 week IOP turned into about 12 weeks. I was fearful of leaving my original sober home (because I was comfortable) so the IOP that I attended sponsored me for a few additional weeks. My insurance would only cover the initial 8 weeks.

Fortunately, those additional weeks introduced me to a person that managed a different sober house. A house for men of mature age and were not fresh out of a rehab facility. I'm 46 years old and there is only one other person here younger than me. The rest are about my age or slightly older. I am more than grateful that I can have a mature conversation with every single man in this house. All of us are employed, all of us are working the program, and take sobriety seriously.

Lately I've been thinking about a lot about moving out on my own, or perhaps finding a single room to rent from a home owner. I'd love to have my own room and bathroom these days, although the flow of this sober home does run pretty well. In all honesty, my daily life and living conditions are more than adequate. It's just my WANT to move out that drives that desire.

My marriage isn't over yet, but we're not to the point where I'd be welcomed home yet either. Truth is, I'm not sure that I'm ready to move home. At least to a home where alcohol would still be present. I feel sorta selfish that I would have to have boundaries in place to accommodate ME but I've worked to hard, cried to many tears, tossed and turned for too many sleepless nights for me to give up all this craziness and heartache that I not only put myself through, but my own wife and children. One drink and all this goes into the crapper. I can't do that to myself. I can't allow that to happen.

Hopefully this will reach out to someone in a sober home or might be considering living in a sober home. It's not great but it's not living under a bridge, or living in a car, or shacking up in an environment that does not support your recovery.

Have a great day all