View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 01:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Mysteryman

For me, rock rock bottom is six feet under, and thankfulky I havent made it there yet. Im not even sure how close I have come.
But everyone has their own rock bottom, and as others have alluded to, it's probably counter productive to compare yourself or your definition of rock bottom to others.
Being from the UK, I sometimes find it hard to relate to stories from US based posters when they talk abou DUI's/DWI's, rehabs, AA meetings, medical bills, etc etc... Not that they are exclusive to the US of course, but I think there are some big cultural differences.
I didnt drink-drive, I didn't do most of my drinking in bars, never been to AA or rehab, never discussed my drinking with doctors or have any diagnosed health problems, etc. Some of which is a miracle, because Ive been drinking for over 20 years on and off with some weeks easily in excess of 100 units. My point being, if I lived in the US, I think my drinking would be more obviously on the radar of others, whereas here in the UK, I have become a master of hiding it. Not sure what my point is really, perhaps Id be better of in the US I dont know.
Nevertheless, I know Ive been very close to the bottom. I can see it, and it is easy to ignore whilst in the grips of drinking, but I dont want to know how much further it is until I reach it. Its not worth it.