View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 11:15 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
tootsl1
Living and Loving Life at Last

No apologies necessary Sam, it's good for us to see what you've written, it shows you've given a lot of thought to your sobriety and have great intent to follow through.

If you are a social drunk you seek others of a kind - they don't judge you, and also convince you of the normality of the lifestyle. When you follow the recovery road, by necessity, these fellow drinkers get left behind. They are not friends that will help you in your recovery as they want you back in the fold. They also don't like a mirror being held up to their behaviour.

I was more of a secular drinker, my husband working away at the time enabled that. I needed to find a replacement for my drinking to engage my hands and my mind. I found some evening classes that not only gave me that but made me see other people don't live their lives around drink - and it didn't matter to them! It led to me getting back into writing which took up a lot of the next few years. I also spent many hours here on SR, following threads that held my interests -for me a limerick thread was addictive, I'm not sure it's still going though!

A friend once said if you leave a bottle shaped hole in your life, it will eventually be filled with another bottle. Essentially, when you stop drinking you absolutely must find other stimulating ways to fill your time, and preferably with folk for whom drinking is an occasional social event not a priority.

Sam, sounds like you're doing everything right

Have a good one Undies!