View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 07:19 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
samwitch

Hello all-
Thanks Toots, for the recommendation to review why I lapsed in the past. I've written a few things down in my journal and shared some thoughts on a different thread and I'm going to list below:
Peer Pressure(at least perceived by me)-ie, I felt compelled to attend happy hours, or other drinking events and shocker-I'd end up drinking. I will not attend any drinking events at least for the next few months(and maybe not ever--what's the point?)

Isolation-I huddle in my house and spend too much time occupied with my "problems" which leads to self-pity which leads to alcohol. I now have tools to use when I begin to feel this way(thanks to my therapist) and I've made a huge effort to become more engaged with others instead of isolating.

Associating with drinking buddies- I realized I fell in with a group of people who use drinking as an activity in and of itself. I am distancing myself from them while replacing those with healthier options-going to the gym, attending events with friends who don't focus solely on drinking, and new hobbies.

Sorry for the length, but I was on a roll :-)