View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Evoo

Welcome to SR! Congrats on 30 days!

My brain still gets overactive sometimes (it's how I'm built) but I have a myriad of much better tools for dealing with it. My first 3 months were really hard... it got easier by six months. My first set of winter holidays was difficult, but I had almost a year of sobriety under my belt by that point and had zero intention on drinking. Also there was no peer-pressure because I was vocal about my not-drinking.

You'll find a lot of your own tools for dealing with the fear/depression/anxiety and overactive mind - but here's some of mine:
  • Deep breathing and guided medication (Calm app is good)
  • Virtual reality (I like playing intense/active cardio games like sword fighting or boxing)
  • Cooking (I love making elaborate meals)
  • Playing with my toddlers (when it doubt, just play with legos or blocks/games at their level. Let everything else go).
  • Being with my wife
  • Going to the gym
  • Going for a long drive through rural countryside
All these things are pretty great stress relievers for me. Keep finding your own as you continue your sober journey . And remember that some depression/anxiety needs addressed with the help of a professional - seeing a therapist and talking through the roots of it and different techniques can be a HUGE help, too.