Notices

Good morning! New to SR

Old 08-28-2022, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good morning! New to SR

Hello all, I've been browsing a few days, reading stickys, it's been helpful. Today I'm 30 days no booze. I've been drinking regularly since I was 15, now 38. Last few years been drinking 6-8 beers or more in the evenings after work, and the weekends staying drunk..every activity has always had a beer in hand. Not married or any kids so always figured wasn't hurting anyone but myself. I decided to quit because it finally dawned on me it's not sustainable to drink everyday, and I've known I've had a problem for along time. About 4 days into soberity, I was driving home from work, depression and anxiety hit me like a ton of bricks. My mind went into overdrive, non stop thinking about everything in life, questioning every aspect. I quit my job, figured I needed some time off and try to figure things out. The last few weeks haven't had many cravings, other than grab a beer and you'll feel "normal " again. I've been sleeping but not too great, takes along time to fall asleep mind racing. Last few weeks I'll get up, do a few things around the house, then back to bed too try and stop thinking so much, reading everything about AUD, timelines, brain chemistry, paws, ect.... I've had one episode of depression many years ago and remember what it feels like, it's not a nice place to be, I just feel dull and just blah about everything. I've lost my appetite, still eat dinner every night though. I know there's alot of changes going on right now, and it'll get better. I've been trying to go for walks and stay outside, which I know help. Also start back to work tomorrow, anxious, but i know it'll keep me out of bed and help distract my ruminating thinking I hope. When did yall start feeling a little bit better?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Jmerica...my overactive brain took a long time to stop being so intensely spinny. Months. I did like you're doing, hunkered down, tried to eat well and get a little outdoors walk every day, and read a lot about the problems created by long-term excessive alcohol use.

Welcome, keep reading and keep posting.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Jmerica.

I remember feeling that way for a few months. I was a daily drinker & had to get used to a whole new way of living. I was much older than you when I finally admitted that alcohol was responsible for almost every bad thing that had happened to me. I could never trust what would happen once it was in my system. I wish I had stopped at 38 like you have. You've given yourself a wonderful gift, though it may not seem like it right now. Things will get easier. The blah feelings should leave once you make the adjustment. Maybe talk to your doctor if you feel overwhelmed - it could be depression.

Let us know how it's going. We care.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on 30 days!

My brain still gets overactive sometimes (it's how I'm built) but I have a myriad of much better tools for dealing with it. My first 3 months were really hard... it got easier by six months. My first set of winter holidays was difficult, but I had almost a year of sobriety under my belt by that point and had zero intention on drinking. Also there was no peer-pressure because I was vocal about my not-drinking.

You'll find a lot of your own tools for dealing with the fear/depression/anxiety and overactive mind - but here's some of mine:
  • Deep breathing and guided medication (Calm app is good)
  • Virtual reality (I like playing intense/active cardio games like sword fighting or boxing)
  • Cooking (I love making elaborate meals)
  • Playing with my toddlers (when it doubt, just play with legos or blocks/games at their level. Let everything else go).
  • Being with my wife
  • Going to the gym
  • Going for a long drive through rural countryside
All these things are pretty great stress relievers for me. Keep finding your own as you continue your sober journey . And remember that some depression/anxiety needs addressed with the help of a professional - seeing a therapist and talking through the roots of it and different techniques can be a HUGE help, too.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Hi Jmerica711, Paddy123 here, welcome aboard, and well done on your 30 days clean and your decision to quit. Yes it takes a little time for the brain to readjust to the new you. I'm 85 days clean now and feeling good, my sleep suffered initially but getting outside in the fresh air and sun and walking helped me a lot as does a healthy diet. At times I thought I had depression but it was just the brain healing so don't resent it as with time it will go. Its the brain readjusting. To answer your question, it took about 2 months for me to feel any normality, but everyone is different. With me, I noticed a sudden clearness arrived one morning when I woke up, just out of the blue!! It was like a pin had just burst a balloon. What a super, wonderful feeling. A clear head and brain fog had lifted I was and still am very happy and getting happier the longer it continues. I read allot on the Alcohol Use Disorder disease all about the Gaba and dopamine stuff and how the brain can recover. My memory was shot also, and is still healing, getting better. I'm still suffering from milder PAWS (Post Alcohol Withdrawal syndrome) check out the forum here For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4 - Page 17 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4) I'm a member here and some great people and stories there. Best of luck Jmerica, you have made a life saving decision and well done, keep posting as great people here. Bye for now.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
kes

Hi,

Does sound like depression. Meds take the edge off but aren't really a long term solution. Run it past your doc.

I take 100mg of sertraline daily and it does, to some extent, reduce my anxiety.
30 days is great - keep on going. If you'vr been sticking to 6/7 beers per night, you shouln't have a physical problem quitting but the mental side is just as bad.

Keep posting and you'll get great advice here as well as love and understanding. Good luck Jamerica..
Old 08-28-2022, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 30 days of sobriety.

I began to feel physically better at about 3 weeks but it took longer for my overactive brain to begin to settle down. I think going back to work is probably a good idea, as is eating well and walking. You're on the right track.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jmerica

Everything you’ve mentioned I felt. I think it’s fairly common.
The first 30 days were the hardest for me, so I hope the worst is behind you.

It took a long time for me to feel joy again though. I just about accepted that sobriety meant no joy, when it came back to me. That for me was around 90 days, no meds involved.

to be honest my brain still goes at a million miles an hour but it always did even before I started drinking.
I own that now and am comfortable with it. I make it work for me

You’re on the right road - stay with it

D
Old 08-28-2022, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome and encouragement! It's nice to know folks have experienced the same. It is exciting, although a big lifestyle change, one for the best I know!
Old 08-28-2022, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and

Well done on 30 days!
Old 08-28-2022, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keep coming back.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on 30 days sober! . Keep going, it gets better.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jmerica. Welcome to SR

My head was all over the place when I stopped drinking. After the withdrawals I had a confused brain for a while. Finding SR was a life saver for me. It got much better the more sober days I had.

Congratulations on 30 days!
Old 08-29-2022, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope we can help. It sounds like you are in a very dark place right now.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!