View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
I have found the same feeling of ease and comfort that I would get from drinking by running 3 miles as fast as I possibly can. Something instant happens to me physically and mentally like if I was to be able to slam 3 or 4 beers and just stop. The instant buzz but no desire to keep consuming. My behavior doesn't get all out of control. I even feel more social.

Especially now in the summer heat. Sometimes the more mentally wound up I get the faster my running time and the better I feel afterwards.

Those moments you feel like you are about to break and a drink seems like a good idea, that's just the obsession. Its a temporary mental illness, its an insane idea. A drink will press pause but things will be much worse once you press play again. A drink seems like an escape but its only an escape to something even worse. Temporary feelings of restless, irritable, discontent go away much quicker then a hangover, an arrest, etc.
I ALWAYS feel dramatically better when I exercise hard. You are absolutely right. It helps the restless feeling without giving me guilt!

I am making a list of activities from which to choose when I start to get out of sorts, and RUN is at the top.

Thanks!