View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 04:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
BunnyGypsy

He puts himself into detox at least twice a month. He’s been to 20 different rehabs. I have never asked him to go to detox or rehab, it has always been his own choice. Which is why I do think deep down he truly wants to quit but he’s just been doing it for so long, over 40 years now, that his brain has been rewired by the alcohol and it’s hard for him to be in the sober mind. In fact, he just got out of detox last week but started drinking 2 days after he left. Which I also think being alone and lonely is contributing to it. If he goes to rehab and stays clean for those 28 days, he can stay sober for at least 4 months but like he says, once he hits 4 months he always stumbles. Once we do buy a home for all of us to live in, which we have started the process of selling his home just today, I think if he goes back to rehab one last time and then comes home to family and not being all alone, he might be successful at it. But I do not have false hopes, I’ve accepted he may never stop. He does not like AA…he’s been in and out of AA since the 1980s and he finds it masochistic he said…makes him want to drink instead of helping him stay sober, which I do see his point. He has done IOP, and that was also one of his longest moments of sobriety, when he did that. So, if you can see, there is something inside of him that desperately wants to quit…but then there’s the other side of him that has an insatiable appetite for alcohol. And that’s why it is so tragic to watch…because I see this battle within his own mind.