View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BunnyGypsy

Thanks for your response!! When we purchase a new home it is for the purpose of him having his own little apartment, which we just can’t do in his current home and it’s why we can’t move in there because I do not want to be super enclosed with him and have my children exposed too much to the severity of his alcoholism. Because my husband and I do not drink whatsoever so my kids have never been truly exposed to it.

Also, I know I didn’t cause it, can’t control it and can’t cure it. I have finally accepted that my father will probably die from alcoholism. But I refuse to ever give up on him and just wash my hands of him. And that’s because growing up, although he did drink, he was a wonderful father and provided for his family…in fact, he was my hero when I was a kid. He only went down hill in the past 12 or so years, to the point of basically being an invalid when he drinks. When he has had moments of sobriety he is completely different, although very “on edge” because of the obvious brain and nerve damage caused by the alcohol, yet when he drinks, he’s an invalid and I’m not exaggerating either. The most tragic part for me is the fact that somewhere deep inside he wishes he could be sober because he’s put himself into detoxes and rehabs over 50 times, trying to beat it…and he recently told me that he can’t and more than likely won’t ever beat it. He also told me that if he does die it won’t be my fault because I’ve done everything I can, it’ll be his own fault. I just fear, if it is wet brain, he’s going to get worse and worse because he’s really starting to show the signs more and more but i do not want to put him in a home, unless it becomes medically necessary…I do not want him to die alone in a care facility or in his current home. I am just so heartbroken because I love my father so much and to see the grip this drug has on him is tragic and is truly one of the most horrific things I’ve ever witnessed. I know I can’t break the grip but I, at the least, want to try and make the rest of the time he does have on this earth, not so miserable, like he is now because he’s all alone. Maybe what I want isn’t even possible but I have to at least try.