View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
slimjim30

How long to stabilise on methadone?

I was an alcoholic for 15+ years and in 2015/16 I transferred my addiction to opioids - which quickly ended up with me on Heroin. I always insufflated - never used a needle.

I've been in treatment for 5 years but found subs and methadone have never "stuck". I kept going back to H for the energy and mood lift.

I now have a few months break from work and really want to give methadone a go. I am on day 4. This is the first day I've not had inter-dose withdrawals but I still feel flat. Like there's no joy and all the colour has drained out of the world.

I assume this will pass at some point.

Did others here have a similar experience? How long did it take you to feel satisfied / comfortable with methadone alone?

I still use nicotine if that is relevant. I use an e-cig and Swedish Snus, not cigarettes.

I'm also prescribed antindepressants and benzos. I use the benzos sparingly (and have done so for 10+ years). I'm not addicted to them, but find them helpful when I'm getting too worked up about how negative I feel.

Edit: I should add - I haven't drunk alcoholically for 6-7 years. I have zero desire to go back to that.