View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 05:57 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Mizz

I walked off my job yesterday. Go Me!

Opened the door to my managers office and said "Im leaving!" and then I left. Drove home angry. Stayed angry for a few hours.
Here I am this morning......Less angry but still in a place of emotion. This situation I am in with my work is not sustainable with the staffing we have. No, we are not hiring. For some reason we are not hiring......

Floral, Wellness, Housewares........
What does that entail? A ton of work. Only two people a day. 3 different areas to manage and to make sure its properly stocked, ordered, on sale, and moving out the door. With floral increasing in volume and sales, it takes A LOT more work to keep the department running.

The last two weeks the staffing was solely in Floral. Why? Mothers Day and Graduation. These events, and they are events, take time and take planning. Highly perishable products. So, this means Wellness and Housewares (Wellness- Supplements and beauty care) were on the backburner. Once I made it to Wellness, cause its been a few weeks, the floral department was left unworked. Its perishable.
Highly perishable.

I have holes and orders to place in wellness. Backstock. Making sure the pricing is accurate. Making sure our invoices are accurate. Making sure ALL these areas are above water. We just cant do this with two people alone. Im not even being dramatic here. The job is really BIG. It took two people yesterday to try to make a dent in the wellness work that was sitting there from our time spent in Floral.

Anyways......I got angry. No staff. Ive asked for part time help. Its a story of utilizing the staff we have on hand. The staff we have on hand has their own work. So, Im exhausted. Its only two people. We are failing. My manager comes along to let me know a customer told him the plants need watering outside....I lost it. I just internally combusted and stayed that way for the remainder of the day. Internally exploded and if I exploded on the outside it was 10% of what I was feeling on the inside. So I left.

Taking care of myself means that I know when to exit the stage. The work needs are not being met and it doesn't matter how much I talk about this. Nothing changes if nothing changes, I don't see this changing. I mean they are trying. Its just not sustainable and I have said this many many many times. I cant work on HIGH HIGH ENERGY with one day off for two weeks and expect myself to stay calm, cool and collected. Its just not going to happen.

Do I think I am undervalued in this situation. Absolutely. Its not a pity party I am having. Its a fact.

My job is not even in management. Im not even a Team Leader. My title: Department Head. The only department head in the entire company, and the entire history of the store, that manages three different areas in a store with a team of one person a day.
So, I am having a moment, like I do, once or twice a year, where I explode and sit with the explosion.

Has there been a raise of any sort in the past few years? No. None. I am at the top of the pay scale for a department head.
I manage and run and have always done this job of "Team Leader" but without the title and without the pay. Its quite interesting and for this I think the company is completely taking advantage. Completely.

I mean, my own managers do not even know where any of the products are at in the Wellness department. Its a aisle of confusion for them. That is another story for another time.

I really need to change. I need to change. I have to put myself first.
Im chanting for a change.

I finished the 10 month Floral certification course the other night. I should receive the certification in the mail soon.
That is two certifications in less than one year.
GO ME!