Notices

Creating New Habits

Old 10-11-2021, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Creating New Habits

I've been working towards changing a few habitual behaviors and I think an accountability thread will help. I will log the progress I am making daily for awhile until I make some headway and see that I am creating these new healthy habits.

1) Spending money at work
Its easy to pull out the bank card and buy a coffee for myself. Buy a coffee for someone else. Buy a small cheesecake for someone's birthday or celebration. Buy. Buy. Buy. All of the small purchases add up BIG TIME at the end of the month. This is not serving me financially.

2) sugar intake
I consume about two San Pelligrino sodas a day. A dessert. Some chocolate in my coffee, etc. All of this sugar consumption is not healthy and even though I have given myself a pass on this for various reasons...... I need to cut it down and knock it off. I am not getting any younger here. I also know the sugar consumption contributes to RLS at night. Will I be 100% sugar free? I dont know but I gotta start somewhere.

3) 15 minutes of spiritual practice in the mornings
I chant every morning. Gongyo and Daimoku. The chanting portion seems to be less and less time. With less time I notice that I am not as centered as I could be. I need to be grounded and centered and focused.

4) Reading
I intend to read 15 to 25 minutes a day and I just dont prioritize my books. It is important that I am not spending too much time zoned out on electronics and streaming platforms. I want to create the habit of feeding my brain nightly.

5) Sobriety
I am now a few days into my second year of sobriety. I will continue to check into SR on the Sober bus in the mornings. I will ensure I am safe and sober. I will continue to participate daily on the SR newcomers thread. I dont want to stray and lose myself again!

DAY ONE OF CREATING NEW HABITS!
Good Luck, Mizz!

Last edited by Dee74; 03-28-2022 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Member request title change from ‘Creating NEW HABITS - YEAR TWO
Old 10-11-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!

Atomic Habits/Changes by James Clear is. WONDERFUL!

Highly recommend. You can get it online through your local library in US.

Congrats on one full year!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yesterdays progress was derailed....slightly. I went to the eye doctor and made a large purchase for eyeglasses. I need them. So, okay. Then I was referred to an out of state surgeon about this splotch in my eye. OKAY. Out of state doctor here I come. Its a 5 hour drive. Ill stay the night and then come home the following day. Hopefully its nothing. Am I worried? Im going to stay present and forget about this until I need to think about it......Does that answer if I am worried? I dont know what to feel.

I actually have to think about it more today and see about an appointment sooner than when I made it for this December. My S.O. is adamant that we get there asap......Okay. I can see that this eye is an important situation

1) I spent two dollars at work on a coffee. After I went to the eye doctor I was feeling a bit alarmed. I held off as long as I could from purchasing a coffee with chocolate and cream. I realized that I did not know how to soothe myself and I was reaching for something to help. ........ Its okay. My chocolate coffee with cream was soothing to my brain. - $2.00
I did however bring my lunch and did not spend anymore money.

2) Sugar intake failed. I drank two sodas within a few hours of getting home. Still felt a bit off and was processing..... I dont think the sodas have anything to do with the above actually. I have an addiction to sugar. These sodas man......

3) I did have 12 minutes of spiritual practice in the morning.

3) Reading. I did not read. I stared at the ceiling for a bit. I zoned out on the closet. I fell asleep watching tv.

4) Sobriety. I am sober. As sober as sober can get. Emotionally sober? I don't know. Mentally sober? I dont know

Today is a new day. Today is a NEW day!

Old 10-12-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound like your regular doctor was that concerned about your eye (?) but I would try to get a sooner appointment too if nothing other than to shorten my "worry time."

Congrats on making it successfully to one year sober.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A couple of suggestions that might help.

Use cash instead of your credit card, it makes it seem more real when you spend money.

Buy a Kindle e-reader on Amazon. The entry level one's are pretty cheap and the size and convenience of having hundreds of books in your pocket is great.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a lot of good steps Mizz, and congrats on year 2 as it unfolds for you.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on one year down Mizz

D
Old 10-13-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yesterday:
No money spent at work! YAY!
Spiritual practice for 15 minutes.
One soda! YAY! No dessert. YAY!
Read for 25 minutes! A very nice ending to my night.
Sober! All the good stuff!

Check, Check. Check!

Onwards to a productive day!

Old 10-13-2021, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wonderful Mizz🤠

Praying for your checkup on your eye, that you get answers soon and find out which direction to go with that.

Wonderful that you are looking at new tools in year two
Old 10-14-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm adding another goal to this list and one that I think is very important. Work and life separation.

I check my emails before I get to work most mornings. This behavior is a really really bad habit. I need to have breathing room and a life outside of my work and to not always think of work........Starting now.....RIGHT NOW......I will not check my emails......I can win over this bad habit.

Yesterday:
- No money spent at work on things I did not need. I did buy a hairbrush for my S.O.
- Spiritual practice of 15 minutes.
- One soda but no dessert.
- Read for 20 minutes and listened to a podcast on Nichiren Buddhism where the subject matter was about negative self talk and mind chatter. Man, Ive got a lot of mind chatter. The group in there is LOUD at times. I did not watch television and I did not zone out.
-Sober. YAY!

Im coming for ya, Thursday! Im going to conquer whatever comes my way today and stay present. Present and positive.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yesterday-
No emails in the morning
Spiritual practice for 16 minutes
No money spent
I was given a book about anxiety and stress by one of my sales reps. Fascinating! Read for 20 minutes.
One soda.....No dessert.
Sober as the day is long.

Friday is here! Floral course work this weekend and naps.... Running. Weights. Food. All the good stuff. I'm grateful. Thankful. All the fulls!
Old 10-15-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All the fulls!
I like it!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Habits build momentum—great job Mizz!
Old 10-16-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I accomplished all the things I set out to do yesterday.
No emails, no spending of money, spiritual practice and reading. Sober.

I had a small piece of apple pie last night and did watch a bit of TV. Being that it was Friday I gave myself a pass. I feel good about my decision. Moderation is very very hard for me. I tend to go over board on most things. Do those things until I burn out or get sick.....This was the case with my alcohol consumption.

Today: I will not run. I need one day off a week. I usually just push on through and go, go, go. Run, weights, then this and that and the other. The GO GO GO has created for an energy depletion with aches and pains due to overuse. Not running is very hard for me. Not checking emails is very hard. Not doing those things that have become engrained and habitual. I can rewire. I will rewire. Rewire and reset.

Balance. I need balance. I want balance. I will be balanced.

Happy Saturday!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And...... The eye doctor called yesterday and let me know they had set an appointment with the wrong doctor. The soonest I can get in is mid December with the right person/ doctor. Also, my insurance is in network so that is very very helpful. I was worried a bit about the insurance and going out of state and out of network. .....

The coloring of this eye splotch/ mark has changed and that is why I am going. There is some questionable stuff there or concern to get a second opinion.... says the eye doctor here.... .... Nothing that I cannot handle. The truth is that there is nothing to handle right now. NOW. So, Im working to not get ahead of my thoughts and working to stay present. Its not that hard. Out of sight.....of of mind. Take stuff as it comes. It is most likely nothing. If its something then we deal with the something and keep on moving forward with positivity, hope and determination.

My gauge for all of this: I close my left eye and look around with my right eye and ask myself " CAN YOU STILL SEE?"
The answer has been an emphatic "YES! I CAN SEE OUT OF MY RIGHT EYE!" So, all seems to be going well. I also have taken to not looking at this splotch .....The doctor has asked if the splotch has changed? "Im not trying to focus on it. I can make up all kinds of stuff in my head and so I will leave it to you to tell me what you think. Do you think it has changed, Mr. Eye Doctor?"

I am not a good source of information. I know its MY EYE but really don't ask me my opinion. To me this splotch looks awful and large and I dont want to get carried away. Is this helpful for the doctor? No. Probably not. Not helpful at all. He has the machines and the pictures and the eye drops that turn the eye neon green. I just have me and my brain and this splotch in my eye......I think I should probably think about a different approach so I can be helpful to these people who are trying to help me.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

aww. I get it, though.

Hugs and prayers that it turns out to be something not serious.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yesterday:
I really took the day off! No emails and no running. When work came into my brain I shut it down. Took a nap.
I scrubbed the kitchen floor. Its looking really clean. Vacuumed. Laundry. All the domestic stuff that piles up during the week.
Took a bath and listened to a book. Im enjoying listening to books these days. Washed the curtains and rehung them so my cat can spray them again.......the never ending quest to keep my curtains clean and unsprayed.

I was talking with my SO about mind chatter. He doesn't really have any. He says he is present most of the time and goes from point A to B without much noise in his head. Fascinating! I always have something happening in my head. Thoughts. Memories. this and that .....Its a none stop party in here. I think some of us are wired differently. Goals!

Tina Turner was my age when she set about to have a second life. She realized all her dreams and even built a life beyond her wildest dreams. Be like TINA, Mizz!
Old 10-17-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Feliway...for the cat thing.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Feliway...for the cat thing.
Right. We have it. Come to think of it I need to get a refill.

The little one has a lot of territory stuff going on. The neighborhood cats use our yard as a throughway so Little Miss gets all crazy about it. She brings so much joy to our lives that its hard to be mad at her spraying. Also, she has a perpetual kitten look to her that can stop any frustration or anger in its tracks. "But I am so cute and so soft and so marshmallow- y"

Buying the Feliway in bulk today!
Old 10-17-2021, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Creating new habits, *I like that*.

I did reset the sobriety button yesterday after an insane 2021 drinking.