Old 01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
YankInHolland

Originally Posted by dreamutopia
I am 23 and I'm not sure if I have a problem with drinking.
The vast majority of those who ask this question already know the answer.

Am I really considered an alcoholic?
Don't ask that question. Ask yourself this instead:

"Would my life improve if I didn't drink alcohol?"

If you answer 'Yes', then you can stop asking questions and start working on your plan to break out of your prison cell.

I had attended AA meetings before but it was always on the pretext of accompanying a friend.
AA is one path to breaking free. There are many positive testimonials on these boards to support that. There are also other programs and methods that work as well. But the common denominator of each program is this: You must be committed to change and growth as a person. Nobody else can make you change. None of them are easy. By making this decision, you choose the path of greatest reward, rather than the path of least resistance. Therefore, the reward does not come easy at first. But once the rewards become visible, you'll be amazed at how easy life is outside of your prison cell.

Whenever I feel depressed the first thing I do is make a trip to the local bottle shop.
I self-medicated my depression as well. Since I quit drinking (3 months, 10 days) and religiously adhered to a rigourous program of healthy diet and exercise, my depression has all but disappeared. My physical and mental health improvement has been nothing short of miraculous. I've dropped 25# and I've even selected a new career path for which I'm returning to school for a 2nd college degree in Fall of 2006. Not coincidentally, it is in the field of helping others.

None of this would have been possible for drunk, fat, depressed and lazy YankInHolland. Call me an alcoholic or call me a mozzerella liver sundae.

The label is arbitrary.

The results however, are entirely up to you.

Peace and Sobriety,
Yank