Thread: Dry Drunk
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Pick-a-name

Truthfully, I may be out of the loop on this discussion.......seems like it has become almost "legalise" (ie "Clinton-speak", haha; "Politically Correct",etc) but I think "dry drunk" as shorthand for "exhibiting the *isms* of alcohol with out the physical presence of the chemical". The alcohol causes longterm changes that need corrected, even biochemically.

Is it an insult? No, not in my mind. To refer to an alcoholic as one, before the denial of the disease is breeched, could be considered by some to be an insult,too. (and let's not get into the discussion of deciding who is or is not an alcoholic right now,and if anyone else can say that about someone else....) But does it give factual information ; I think it does.

I believe that it IS a three-pronged disease: physical, mental and spritual. Believing that; and maybe THERE is where the this discussion begins (IF, in fact you do think these three things are ALL important)....... I believe that for for true recovery, ALL THREE parts of the disease must be addressed; not only the removal of alcohol, etc from the equation. In fact, that is the first step and THEN the real work begins with the other two components.

JMHO; take it or leave it.

Best to you all. "Dry drunk" I find as a shorthand term to describe a partial recovery; a first step if-you-will.