Thread: I can't let go
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SmallButMighty

Hi Lauralynn. I'm sorry for your pain. It has not been that long since your break up, it is normal to still be grieving that loss. It takes more than a few weeks to "let go".

I agree with what the other posters have said to you. I will add that, it is very likely, even probable, that growing up in an alcoholic home, you also grew up in a codependent home. I did. I swore I'd not marry a man like my dad... but I very much did. And then I became a codependent mess, just like my mum. ..and then I raised MY kids in that mess... just like my parents had...just like THEIR parents had. It's a generational problem, but it can end with us. We can learn as much as we can about addiction (including codependence) and we can plan to do better with the next generation. Knowledge is power. We don't know what we don't know, but we can learn. When we know better, we can do better. I have been able to talk to my now adult children, about our family issues. They know a heck of a lot more than I did about all this stuff in my 20s. It's a step in the right direction. Your son not having to deal with having a drunken father figure around is also a step in the right direction for your family.

It takes a lot of hard work, and it can be VERY painful examining our lives and upbringings...but it can also be very eyeopening and healing when we do so. It sounds like you are probably ready to start that journey. I hope you will hang out here at SRF&F and let those of us who have been through it be a source of support.

I also suggest reading "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. You do not have to identify as a codependent to get a lot out of that book. It changed the trajectory of my life for the better.

I know everything feels heavy and dark right now, it wont always feel that way. Healing takes time, be gentle and kind to yourself. *hugs*