View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jagrnaut

Finally Getting it!

I have been a heavy drinker for over 16 years. This past year the alcohol finally caught up with me. It got to the point where I was drinking to stave off withdrawals and the drinking no longer was the fun that it used to be. In march I tried to taper off on my own and ended up waking up in my living room with medics and fireman due to the fact that I had a seizure, literally 4 hours after my last drink (major problem clearly). I stopped shortly after that experience after using Benzos to tape off, which sucked really bad but was necessary to detox safely. Fast forward I had several slip ups. The most recent after 4 months of being sober in January, which resulted in me admitting myself to a detox facility for 5 days to safely detox. I can't express how important it is for anyone trying to quit, to safely do so. I am now almost 2 months sober again and I feel amazing. I feel that this time is different and although I had a slip up, I have almost 6 months sober. I have put my focus into coaching my kids sports and making sure that I keep myself on track and hold myself accountable. For once in my life, I finally feel that I can kick this nasty habit for good. I luckily am only 37, but I realize that I can't even have just one drink. I am an alcoholic, but I will not let that define me as a person! Good luck to everyone struggling out there and just know that day by day things can get better and you can break the horrible cycle of being trapped by alcohol. I can't say it enough how freeing it is to finally be somewhat removed from the hell I was constantly putting my body through. I am also happy to not be disappointing my family, alcoholism is not an addiction that only affects the person drinking. My addiction was affecting those that I love, and I refuse to put them through it again. There is only so much sympathy if you don't take a hard look at yourself and make the changes that are needed, which is what I had to do. I am the only person that can make my sobriety stick and I know that I have a lifetime of work ahead of me to ensure that I stay accountable. Take care everyone and keep pushing!!!