Notices

Finally Getting it!

Old 03-10-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Getting it!

I have been a heavy drinker for over 16 years. This past year the alcohol finally caught up with me. It got to the point where I was drinking to stave off withdrawals and the drinking no longer was the fun that it used to be. In march I tried to taper off on my own and ended up waking up in my living room with medics and fireman due to the fact that I had a seizure, literally 4 hours after my last drink (major problem clearly). I stopped shortly after that experience after using Benzos to tape off, which sucked really bad but was necessary to detox safely. Fast forward I had several slip ups. The most recent after 4 months of being sober in January, which resulted in me admitting myself to a detox facility for 5 days to safely detox. I can't express how important it is for anyone trying to quit, to safely do so. I am now almost 2 months sober again and I feel amazing. I feel that this time is different and although I had a slip up, I have almost 6 months sober. I have put my focus into coaching my kids sports and making sure that I keep myself on track and hold myself accountable. For once in my life, I finally feel that I can kick this nasty habit for good. I luckily am only 37, but I realize that I can't even have just one drink. I am an alcoholic, but I will not let that define me as a person! Good luck to everyone struggling out there and just know that day by day things can get better and you can break the horrible cycle of being trapped by alcohol. I can't say it enough how freeing it is to finally be somewhat removed from the hell I was constantly putting my body through. I am also happy to not be disappointing my family, alcoholism is not an addiction that only affects the person drinking. My addiction was affecting those that I love, and I refuse to put them through it again. There is only so much sympathy if you don't take a hard look at yourself and make the changes that are needed, which is what I had to do. I am the only person that can make my sobriety stick and I know that I have a lifetime of work ahead of me to ensure that I stay accountable. Take care everyone and keep pushing!!!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome! I got this at 37 as well, but it took 4 years until now to stick! Agree, there's a bit of hard work and patience involved but definitely becomes easier after a point. Lets keep going.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paddy123

Well done Jeg. Yes, family is everything to me too!!. Well done and Good luck 👍 👏
Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos jagrnaut, you're doing great! Keep it up and all the best
Old 03-10-2022, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice post, Jag'. Sometimes it's that well-needed spiritual or medical kick-in-the-ass that gets us back on life course. Roll sober, buddy.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you had to go through all that Jagrnaut but I’m glad you’re on the right road now. Don’t be a stranger

D
Old 03-14-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! It definitely sucked, but I am using that as my motivation to keep going strong! I do not want to forget for one second how bad it was last time I chose to drink. I did it to myself and now I am picking myself up and moving forward with positivity in my life!
Old 03-14-2022, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Great post!
Onward Soldier!
Old 03-14-2022, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wish I’d quit at 37! (My quit age was 49). You’ve got it made, jagr. It’ll be a hard few weeks but then decades of great stuff to come.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post, Jag. I’m proud of you. You’re inspiring me to do better to.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish I had stopped at 37. No real regrets, now though. It so good to be sober whatever my age.

Awesome stuff Jagrnaut.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Quick Update!!!
Approaching 5 months of sobriety, it has not been easy but I can proudly say that I have made it to this point. I have zero intentions of ever drinking again (not that any of us do), however, this time truly has been sticking with me. Even during the tough times, I have not yielded and remind myself that any instant gratification from drinking is not worth putting myself in that dark place again. I can poignantly remember exactly how I felt the moment I was packing up my stuff for detox. I remember my Wife's tears and how she said I hadn't smiled in days (which is not me at all). To know the pain that I was putting her through and put her through is almost too much to bear. However, she is my rock and stayed right there by my side and never once saw me any differently than the man she fell in love with. I know people say this all of the time, but she truly is the love of my live and I don't know if I would be here without her. In any case, I just wanted to check in and if I can help one person that would be enough for me. Alcohol is a monster dressed up as a puppy. Society likes to push the fun side of it, but for many of us that fun gradually fades away into a pattern of self destruction. I know that I will never be out of the woods, but I have been developing positive coping mechanisms to steer me clear of those thoughts that will only bring me down. Sobriety is awesome and is my new cool. For me embracing my passion for hockey and striving to be as good as I once was has been incredibly positive. Number one, I am present for my Wife and kids. They deserve 100% of me and not the ****** 50% I was unknowingly giving. Good luck guys and everyday truly gets better, and even the tough days are much more tolerable sober!!!
Old 06-06-2022, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on nearly 5 months

D
Old 06-06-2022, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great stuff jagrnaut. What a comeback!
Old 06-06-2022, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Well done you. Just before I read this I was sitting thinking "I actually really cannot drink alcohol ever again because I abuse it and I always will " I felt a little sad till I read your post . And iv just for the first time said the A word. I am and will always be an alcoholic and its OK because like you I'm really happier without it . Alcohol isn't life is it . It's nothing on the grand scale of everything that truly is life . Your right, it's a con ! .

Thankyou and best wishes to you 🙏

Old 06-06-2022, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the updated and good job on 5 months of recovery.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great update, Jagrnaut!!! Congrats on your near 5 months.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-06-2022, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thank you for the happy update!
Old 06-06-2022, 11:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It takes what it takes 🙏