View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Being sober for 10 years is an amazing achievement and shows such strength of purpose, so well done on that!

However reading your post I just cant understand why you are with this guy, he has really serious issues with addiction that are not going to go away easily. If he is serious about a relationship he will need to decide for himself that he needs to clean up, you will not be able to persuade him to do it. Be careful about wasting too much time on him, or trusting him, for as we all know, addicts can be very untrustworthy.
I think I should have gave him an ultimatum a long time ago and am not sure why I am still here. I think because of my own experience I wanted to give him a chance but also other than the drugs the relationship is really good. We get on great and he is a good person. I have had some really subtly abusive relationships and it is rare to meet someone who honestly doesn't try to change me or control my life. I don't want to abandon him now he is really ill but I have been clear I am not sticking around if he is still using. The question is do I make him do a test or not? I feel like it is my only option to really know for sure... Once I do I won't be wasting time on him and if I am wrong, I will feel bad for not trusting him but I feel like it my only option...