Old 03-02-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
VikingGF

Hi, class-
Free- I 100% agree that those "friends" are in for an earful! I want to echo what SS says about the whole not drinking thing and telling people and letting their opinions invade your life so much that it makes not drinking a chore. We are now in this at a strong 6 months. It is not a whim or a passing thing. We are non-drinkers. To be considered anything else at this point is really ridiculous- and to have to have "a talk" about it or try to fit into what others perceive us to be, especially since it seems to be inaccurate, is just a waste of time and misdirection of energy. I no longer think about not drinking, I just don't do it and that's who I am now, I'm Lisa the non-drinker. Period. If anyone has issue with it, they get over it, and if they didn't, I guess I'd show them the door. Most of my friends have become a bit impressed at both how much better I look (just general health- my eyes are brighter, and my skin looks better) and how much happier and more engaged I am. They are saying these things to me, and I hear a little bit of envy sometimes when they refer to me as not drinking. They don't say "still not drinking," now it's just "not drinking." People are not looking at me like I'm missing out- they are understanding that I have made this choice and I couldn't be happier succeeding at it. They see me living what I say here all the time- sobriety is not a punishment, it's a gift. It is not something to be defended or hidden, it is to be cherished and modeled to others- it's a desirous place to be, and we are in excellent company. I sure do not announce WOW THIS NOT DRINKING IS SOOOOO AWESOME, YOU SHOULD DO IT, TOO!!! but my life is better and I'm better and that's what people see and react to. I don't care if everyone drinks a gallon of whatever they choose around me- I know I'm the one waking up without the regret! I have no reason to defend my choices, all I have to do is live with my choice and do it well. Never let another person take your power away by questioning your choice to make your life BETTER. Ever. We are doing GREAT.

I am still wary and I do not kid myself that I am "cured" and out of any danger of ever drinking again- but I do know that with each day I add to my sober timeline, I get a little stronger. I know the pitfalls, hell, I've lived them, and I still remain grateful of this chance I was given to clean up the mess I was making. I'm still cleaning...