View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sevenofnine

Originally Posted by Ituvia View Post
I get that intellectually. I issue threats that i am going to leave but don't follow through and get sweet talked into staying. I am not sure why i don't seem to be able to leave him.
I think you should take a while to consider why you stay. Really allow yourself to honestly examine each if the reasons you continue to stick around for a situation that troubles you.

Maybe write it down, not like a pro con list for deciding, but just to identify the situation. No pressure to decide. Just to get a picture of what the positive stuff is, what needs are not met, what needs are, what you can live with, what you can't. Be honest about all your fears and all your motivations (for example, it's hard for me to openly admit, but at one time, my ex being my drug source played a factor. That was hard to admit to myself and face, but being willing to give up cannabis was needed if i was to contemplate leaving).

When you have a detailed picture of the parts of the problem, but also the picture of why you stay, maybe that will help you decide what to do. Only you can weigh out the different pieces--each of us values and experiences things in our unique way and what doesn't work for me may be manageable for you. What may have been manageable in the past for you may be unacceptable now.

While you are getting a picture of it in front of you, all the facets, don't even try to figure it out. Way before you can figure it out, you have to get honest with yourself about where you really are and why. Once you have that clear picture of where you are, you may find that the map is right there and the path becomes more clear for you.

For a lot of us, that path is leaving. And I can't overhype the awesomeness of leaving! But for you that may not be the path. But whichever way you go, having a clear and honest picture of why you are going that direction is an important first step and will help you define the things you need to do to move forward whichever way you go.