Old 01-18-2022, 08:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BullDog777

I kind of wished there was a barometer of sorts that we could measure ourselves against that kept people from feeling so alone at certain points of their sobriety. Early on-man...I got back here and was so jazzed that I had made it back alive that I was so excited to get started again I felt like a million bucks. That did NOT last. LOL

It wore off and the real work of day to day recovery started. That's grunt work. Boring and mundane but very necessary. You're building a foundation that will give you the tools you need to be able to live into long term recovery.

I explain it like this to a few guys I sponsor that were athletes: In football, you know you want to be a great quarterback. You know you can throw a ball, but in reality, you have zero mechanics to be able to make good offensive decisions and you lack experience in reading defenses. You just know you can throw like a son of a b***h. Does that make you capable of being Tom Brady?

Tom Brady is arguably the GOAT because his mechanics and foundation are second to none. He studies constantly and eats, breaths and craps his job. Same with Jordan in Basketball. Neither of them were particularly gifted in high school, but they were willing to do the work it took to be the best. Simply put, they lived that old saying "you get out what you put in." and they had a ton of talent.

My point is mechanics and foundation isn't fun but it will make life so much easier in the long run. I went through a long time where nothing felt right and I was bored and frustrated. It's just the time, man.

Em says in the song "Not afraid" "Everybody, I guess I had to Go to that place to get to this place." It took me a long time to figure out what he was sayin. That he had to build this foundation to get to the place of strength of where he comes from now.

If you hang in there, your life can and probably will be whatever you make of it. But you gotta build the foundation, one brick at a time.