Thread: 1 month
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MrPL

1 month

When I wake up tomorrow I’ll have been sober for a month.

Last time this happened, in 2016, I was more “excited” about sobriety itself than I am now. I had come from such a messy place, that the effects of being sober were crystal clear, and almost euphoric in a way.

The almost 2 years I spent sober back then allowed me start turning my life around, to the point that I allowed drinking back in a controlled way, because I was convinced new me could do it. It worked for another year or 2, and my life kept improving more and more.

Of course, drinking took over again, and now I have decided to sober up for good.

But now it’s different. Luckily I stopped early enough this time round that the life I’m finding to deal with is the right life for me - instead of having a
mess to fix, I have the right environment and people around me.

The result is that I’m not euphoric about being sober, but instead I feel gratitude. I heard the word many times before, but only now I fully understand what it means.

I guess my point here is that even if life is kind of functional with alcohol, and sobriety seems “excessive” because there seems to be limited downside in drinking, there’s still a massive loss of upside which has to be taken into account.

In 2016 sobriety gave me the opportunity to change my life. Now it’s giving me the privilege and gratitude to enjoy it.

Stay strong everyone, this forum is just amazing.