Notices

1 month

Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 month

When I wake up tomorrow I’ll have been sober for a month.

Last time this happened, in 2016, I was more “excited” about sobriety itself than I am now. I had come from such a messy place, that the effects of being sober were crystal clear, and almost euphoric in a way.

The almost 2 years I spent sober back then allowed me start turning my life around, to the point that I allowed drinking back in a controlled way, because I was convinced new me could do it. It worked for another year or 2, and my life kept improving more and more.

Of course, drinking took over again, and now I have decided to sober up for good.

But now it’s different. Luckily I stopped early enough this time round that the life I’m finding to deal with is the right life for me - instead of having a
mess to fix, I have the right environment and people around me.

The result is that I’m not euphoric about being sober, but instead I feel gratitude. I heard the word many times before, but only now I fully understand what it means.

I guess my point here is that even if life is kind of functional with alcohol, and sobriety seems “excessive” because there seems to be limited downside in drinking, there’s still a massive loss of upside which has to be taken into account.

In 2016 sobriety gave me the opportunity to change my life. Now it’s giving me the privilege and gratitude to enjoy it.

Stay strong everyone, this forum is just amazing.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be grateful indeed MrPL. I lost almost everything, drank another several years after that, and then had to start completely over. I so wish I'd had your wisdom at some point to see that my life and dreams were slowly but steadily going down the drain. I hope people on the fence or starting to struggle look at the road you traveled and the road I traveled when they're making some decisions about drinking. A no-brainer.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job on your month of sobriety. I was never euphoric about recovery because I was focused on problems I'd caused myself and my family when I was drinking. However, I think it was really a good thing because my recovery was slow and steady, with ups and downs, but with a feeling of peace.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That sounds just right, MrPl. Congratulations on your first month of just plain ol’ sobriety.

O
Old 01-03-2022, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the month Mr PL

D
Old 01-03-2022, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months!
Old 01-03-2022, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mr PL, That's awesome! We can do this together. I guess to really stop drinking, there needs to come a moment of clarity that alcohol truly does not serve any purpose and feel gratitude for being able to push forward with life's stresses, social gatherings and everything else without touching alcohol.

At the moment, I can see only few feet ahead with a little lamp but I know if I move forward little by little, I can see few more.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats MrPL - first of many!
Old 01-04-2022, 01:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Be grateful indeed MrPL. I lost almost everything, drank another several years after that, and then had to start completely over. I so wish I'd had your wisdom at some point to see that my life and dreams were slowly but steadily going down the drain. I hope people on the fence or starting to struggle look at the road you traveled and the road I traveled when they're making some decisions about drinking. A no-brainer.
I hope so too, Surrendered. I don’t know exactly how far I was from starting to mess things up again but I suspect not far. Whatever the starting point is, for us who have a drinking problem the end point is always the same.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is TODAY🎉🎊🎏🪅🪄

Congrats on a month! That’s impressive!

🤓❤️
Old 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year sober 🙏
Old 01-04-2022, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Excellent post and congrats on your one month milestone!