Old 11-14-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Wantabetterlife View Post
I’m new here, just navigating this site now.
i have a negative relationship with alcohol and it to change.
Recently had relapse and really a mess of things.
im only on journey again.
its a love hate relationship with alcohol and want it stop for
i need some inspiration
When you are ready and willing to put yourself into recovery, it will be available to you. This forum is a good source of information. There's inspiration here too, but information is what I needed most when I started (I was already fired up enough to take on the task, but words of inspiration were also valuable). Information includes answers to questions like how do you start? What are the things that get in the way of recovery? What can you expect? Do you need some kind of plan? How do you make a plan? These and others are vital questions about how to recover that demand answers. They can be found here by asking questions, and paying attention to advice.

Consider that every published program of recovery that has thousands of followers is based on someone's plan for how to do it. Apparently, a plan for recovery must be vital, right? You can make your own plan too, but make sure it's something that doesn't defy the collective knowledge we have about alcoholism, because there are certain basics that are required to pull it off. You can start by committing yourself to one little step forward and add as you go. Hint: "I'm am going to control my drinking in the future," defies all that we know about alcoholism. It's unrealistic. Alcoholics cannot control their drinking. In fact, that's the definition of an alcoholic; One who cannot control their drinking. BUT... you can quit altogether and you will stop behaving like an alcoholic. That's just one bit of information you need to know.

Those that do recover usually report that their lives improve greatly. In my case, the improvement feels dramatic, but that's my personal perception of course.