Notices

How to stay sober when you’re really craving a drink

Old 11-09-2021, 11:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

And sure, I guess theoretically one could live in a brewery if your sobriety was strong enough, but oh the stink!
There is that

D
Old 11-10-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

^^^

Thanks Vinny, yes keeping busy doing things that engage and engross is definitely worth doing more of. Sometimes when I’m idle, my mind wanders to what if’s…. I do find that when I’m immersed in doing something that fully takes my attention, I don’t even think about drinking. And I might just try something new that I’ve never done before. I had to look up sophrology, I’d never heard of it before. It sounds like it could be a really useful thing to do for overall well-being, I might even try it myself
Old 11-10-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I had a slight chuckle at the living room cage idea, willow.

I used to drink at a bar in Asia, and at closing time, the owner would draw lines on every bottle to try and stop his staff having after work drinks. I’d probably have to do the same if I had a bar in my house. Sounds like the alcohol in the house isn’t a worry for you, so well done for the willpower and tolerance of others 👍
Old 11-10-2021, 07:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think some of the bars in airports have those cage type things that pull across when they’re closed. I’m sure I’ve seen in somewhere anyway.
I’ve heard of people drawing lines on alcohol bottles to check whether their kids have been sneaking it.

I think I’ll draw myself an invisible but impenetrable cage around the alcohol in the house.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Willow, I don't think that I can build upon your list. It sounds like everything I did the first time I quit. One thing I did back when I had to go out and was concerned I would lapse, I asked my wife to go along with me. She never complained or criticized me. She just grabbed her coat and said lets go. She is visiting her brother until Thanksgiving. I am thinking of not telling her what I am doing until she gets home. I don't know if that's the smartest thing to do but she will be happy none the less.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:00 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I’m new here, just navigating this site now.
i have a negative relationship with alcohol and it to change.
Recently had relapse and really a mess of things.
im only on journey again.
its a love hate relationship with alcohol and want it stop for
i need some inspiration
Old 11-13-2021, 12:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome wantabetterlife
There’s hundreds of recovery success stories here.

I guess the difference for me started when I stopped looking at alcohol as a viable option anymore.
It wasn’t….and the more days and more things I dealt with not drinking, the stronger I got.

Support helps too - and there’s tons of that here.
You’ll probably get more replies if you start your own thread tho

D
Old 11-13-2021, 09:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi wantabetterlife. Welcome to SR. You’ve taken a great step forwards in wanting a sober life. I know that for me, joining SR was the absolutely best thing I could have done. The support here is great. Like Dee said, you could start a thread of your own. I’d also recommend joining the class of November for extra support. You could also join the One Year and Under club and the weekenders for more support. And chime in on any other threads too.

You can do this!
Old 11-14-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wantabetterlife View Post
I’m new here, just navigating this site now.
i have a negative relationship with alcohol and it to change.
Recently had relapse and really a mess of things.
im only on journey again.
its a love hate relationship with alcohol and want it stop for
i need some inspiration
When you are ready and willing to put yourself into recovery, it will be available to you. This forum is a good source of information. There's inspiration here too, but information is what I needed most when I started (I was already fired up enough to take on the task, but words of inspiration were also valuable). Information includes answers to questions like how do you start? What are the things that get in the way of recovery? What can you expect? Do you need some kind of plan? How do you make a plan? These and others are vital questions about how to recover that demand answers. They can be found here by asking questions, and paying attention to advice.

Consider that every published program of recovery that has thousands of followers is based on someone's plan for how to do it. Apparently, a plan for recovery must be vital, right? You can make your own plan too, but make sure it's something that doesn't defy the collective knowledge we have about alcoholism, because there are certain basics that are required to pull it off. You can start by committing yourself to one little step forward and add as you go. Hint: "I'm am going to control my drinking in the future," defies all that we know about alcoholism. It's unrealistic. Alcoholics cannot control their drinking. In fact, that's the definition of an alcoholic; One who cannot control their drinking. BUT... you can quit altogether and you will stop behaving like an alcoholic. That's just one bit of information you need to know.

Those that do recover usually report that their lives improve greatly. In my case, the improvement feels dramatic, but that's my personal perception of course.