View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thesaviour

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Thesavior, you got this. Don’t beat yourself up.

Read Alcohol Explained. It talks about the brain changes and the why of the insanity that you realize- alcohol causes and yet relieves—-but, the causes issues weight MUCH more than the tiny relief, if any, any more.

Too high a price to pay for me.
Thanks.

Believe it or not I am halfway through that book and it has been an eye opener. I couldn't understand why I couldn't pull myself out of the "relapse" that started at the end of June after nearly six months completely sober (no cigs, no drugs, no alcohol, no pills.....just quit everything). I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me (the jury is still out on that one) as I just kept repeating the same mistake. That book explained perfectly my experience. I downloaded an application while reading the book that monitors your blood alcohol level. It's astounding how long the level of intoxication remains in your system well after the "buzz" has gone.

But yeah, what a trap, alcohol causes depression and anxiety and then you are fooled into thinking that it can relieve your anxiety and depression, which he explains that it temporarily does, so the subconscious mind associates the alcoholic beverage with a "good feeling". But the level of intoxication stays long after the drinks have gone and then the bleak hangover. But the subconscious doesn't associate the negative feelings to alcohol as you haven't got a drink in your hand when the depression and anxiety comes knocking...

Or something like that! It explains the insidious cycle so well.

(oh and apologies to the person who recommended that book to me before and I brushed it off!)