View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forwards

1000 days and more

I'm 1000 days sober tomorrow and writing this from the executive car I have been newly trusted with in my job only 33 months after quitting drinking. I had reached pretty much rock bottom - in the gutter both metaphorically and literally. I am feeling so much better aligned with the world physically, mentally and emotionally. At last I am feeling like I can begin to fit in to society, my environment and this world with all it has to offer. Maybe I can now make some small contribution to it.

Some lessons learned:

You cannot intellectualise, reason or think your way out of alcoholism. The only way is definitive action and this action is founded on abstinence from alcohol.

You will need every tool in the box to achieve and maintain the above. This may include inpatient or rehab for some. Most people require structure and routine and you can't do it alone. Think healthy eating, productive work and exercise. Your primary, and some will saw sole aim though is to stay sober. Big changes life changes will be needed. You will need to surrender, let go of much of your old thinking and learn not to 'think like an addict'.

Assuming you achieve the above, early recovery is still a painful and tortuous process. The only way to the end point is through it. As you do progress you will need to keep moving forward with life. Add small, achievable new goals week by week. Small victories along the way will reinforce your commitment to recovery as you start to see the benefits.

Some days will be worse than others, in all cases if you can stay sober you have won. Keep moving. Gratitude will get you through on many occasions. Make a daily mental note of what you are grateful for and write it down.

Last but not least, SR can help enormously with all of the above so stay close, particularly in the early days.

As I have shared previously, I still have ongoing mental health issues to manage and address but even this seems possible now. If drinking, it would be hopeless.

Thank you sincerely to all who have helped me get this far as I continue to count my blessings. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.