Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rmusic88

Is Naltrexone an option? I'm starting to lose hope in my relationship

I posted a few months back regarding my girlfriend's severe drinking problem. We recently had a couples counseling session where I wrote a 7 page letter to her, detailing her behavior in the past year. This was also for her therapist to realize what was going on because I felt she hasn't been truthful. Her therapist recommended getting professional alcohol abuse treatment.

The thing is that my girlfriend has no desire to stop drinking, she only wants to cut down. I called a local alcohol treatment center but they told me that if she doesn't want to fully quit then she isn't ready, and that someone on the level of her drinking would need to start a detox, which my girlfriend isn't willing to do.

One thing my girlfriend is willing to do is to try the SInclair/Naltrexone treatment. She thinks it's the best approach for her because she doesn't want to fully quit drinking, and that fully quitting would be hard for her because she lives with her alcoholic mother, so alcohol is always around.

To be honest, I am starting to kind of check out of the relationship. The couples counseling session was my "get your life together or I'm out" moment. I honestly have low expectations, but at this point anything is better than nothing.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this. Is it a valid approach? Part of me is saying to myself "Why am I even going through this? There are so many other women that don't have these problems"