View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cornishman

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Well done on 100 days first. Let’s be positive 🙂

Sounds like it’s been a struggle. Are you doing any other activity to fill in the time in which you were drinking? I always reckon we can’t only quit drinking as other things have to change too. If you imagine someone who chills after work with Netflix and a bottle of wine, for example, they won’t be able to chill after work with Netflix and no wine. It won’t happen. They need to cut back on the Netflix or better still get a new hobby. That was what worked for me. Whilst I was busy doing something else every evening, I was distracted from wanting to drink and my body became used to the idea.

But I do remember well having a trip abroad around my 100 day mark. The triggers were astronomical with airports, free booze, etc. Like you, I said no. 100 days is still a dodgy time.

Seriously think about an activity to take your mind off the cravings, and well done again for 100 days.
Thanks. You're right about the need to change other things in life previously connected to drinking. I have a lot to distract me from drinking most of the time. It can be hard though; I was at birthday celebrations recently, and also at three or four restaurant meals with family and friends where wine and beer were flowing freely. That was tough - not because of any physical craving (I don't think I've ever have that when I'm sober), more a kind of sadness at not being able to be part of the occasion in the same way as others, or the way I used to. I've always been a happy drinker, not a nasty one. People have actually encouraged me to drink in the past, as it 'makes me relaxed and happier' - so I don't worry about insulting people, letting people down or causing fights etc. The reasons for quitting are my own mental and physical health and the knowledge that I can't control it, it controls me.