View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
Hi. In some ways I find it easier - physically feel great, sleeping better and all the psychological issues that went with quitting have gone. But the urge to drink is creeping back a bit; there is the occasional whisper that, 'you can have a few drinks, just one night etc.' I know that's crap and if I drink for one night, I'll be drunk for two weeks.
I think it's normal to have those thoughts, and even urges (is there a difference between the two), but at 100 days, you may have to accept that having manageable thoughts is good enough. Remember back when they weren't manageable? That's when it was a real nightmare. Then you made your way though those early stage cravings. Now you need to become confident in accepting and handling these current annoyances, at whatever intensity they are at this point.

This is the way recovery goes. It's just progress. If there is an endpoint, I haven't seen it yet, but in recovery we just keep getting better at it. And these periods like where you are now, become places where you can prove your resolve, and just like in the beginning, every time you don't give in, you get stronger in your commitment, and the bothersome tests follow a general downward intensity, but it won't be a straight line.