View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Cookie314

It's alright, you never truly have nowhere to go. I'm glad you were able to reach out to your neighbor, having someone so close who is aware of your situation is a huge boon. There are hotlines you can call for domestic abuse, as well as support groups online. You could also try calling the police office, not 911, but the office itself (or wait... if you're not in the US your version of 911) to discuss options. You might even be able to get information from the clerk at the court directly about restraining orders and such.

I don't know your situation with friends or family. Being isolated from your support group is a very common tactic of abusers. In fact it's essential for abuse to flourish. If those connections have atrophied due to lack of contact and such, instead of some direct fight or something, you may well be able to begin rekindling them by describing your situation. There are people on here to talk to, people on those hotlines, even people in detox and rehab facilities who may have access to resources designed to help the families of those addicted. My point here is you are not alone in this.

I don't know what the right answer to this is, I haven't been in your position directly. When things really reached a head with my AH, he was not physically threatening me. At most he was belligerent when following me around or getting heated while I was in a compromised position like a corner or the shower.

It was still intimidating, but the fact that your partner has already choked you is a very different matter. You already have direct confirmation that he escalates heightened incidents to a physical level. When combined with alcohol, that is an incredibly dangerous situation for you. Choking in particular is a very strong indicator of how deadly his actions could become.

I'm sorry you're in such a scary situation, but you are not as trapped and powerless as you feel. You already know you have a neighbor to get yourself to physically. Tbh, I would go there now, with no notification to your partner. I know it is scary, and feels like over kill, but the other side of that coin is being trapped in a situation where you need to run, and no longer can. When you combine alcohol with someone who is physically violent and controlling of you, all bets are off as to what is coming next from him.

What can you grab around you right now? Could you pack up enough to leave within the hour? Consider grabbing:
clothes/ socks/ shoes
hygiene supplies/ menstrual supplies/ medications
all cash in the house
phone/ laptop/ charging blocks and cables
personally important paperwork (ssn cards, birth certificates, titles, etc)
wallet/ cards/ account info/ password books
small travel snacks and water bottles

If you think of more of course grab it. The point is you want to have a bag that let's you get to safety physically immediately, then take care of the logistics after. If you have that important paperwork, you can make contact with your employer, doctors, lawyers, landlord, etc without returning to the house. If able, impose on your neighbor to leave that stuff at their house so you don't even have to grab it, though tbh I would just leave as well.

I know you hope he will be sober, we all do. But placing your hope and trust in an addict, particularly one who hurts you, is a recipe to get hurt. If you do all this and it turns out to be unnecessary, that's fine. The issue comes from not doing it, and being trapped in a deadly situation. If you decide you don't want to leave so fast, then at most you've left a bag of clothes, money, and important papers outside of your house for a bit. If you realize you do need to leave though, those preparations will allow you to do so instantly.

Please be careful, and keep us posted. You are stronger than you think, and you are not alone in this.