Old 08-17-2021, 07:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sage1969
sage

Originally Posted by 2getheryetalone View Post
THANK YOU for this. I needed to hear it from someone who went through it. There are many wonderful happy moments but the bad moments are really bad and my daughter is understanding words now or laughing when he's drunk and mocking or degrading me infront of her cause she thinks he's being silly. And worse, she's repeating it. And getting some time alone will help me realize if I can raise another child on my own but I don't have much time to decide that. Overall time alone is what's needed for sure. When hes gone the house is calm and I'm more successful in my day. I'm so sorry you had to go through it for so long. You're strong if you leave but your strength is truly tested if you stay.
In hindsight, for me, there weren't happy moments with my AH. There were many moments I wish I could've spared my children from going through, and my naivete that every time he promised things would change, that I believed it.

The other thing I didn't share in the response to your post, but I have in other posts, is that I grew up with an alcoholic parent and grandparents. Children of alcoholics have definite lifelong issues, and if you can spare your children this, you should.

And of course, really think about yourself in this decision. Is this the life you want to lead?