Old 08-17-2021, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2getheryetalone

Originally Posted by sage1969 View Post
I'm a widowed parent of four. My AH was active in his addictions during three pregnancies, and I would have to say that having had babies, raised babies and toddlers, and raised children and teens, that each one of these stages is really difficult to do with an active addict. Add onto that being the main earner and the main everything, it is responsibility; but I did it somehow. I also think about ways in which my children might be healthier and have less emotional and psychological struggles, if they'd not been exposed to addiction and all the other problems that come with addiction. (And I think about ways that I might now be healthier if I'd taken the addict off my plate, how that would have improved my ability to support and care for my family. I have had half a dozen years on my own now, and I can say that it is easier for me to make the right choices for my children than if I were still juggling the craziness. As to the physical day - to - day how - do - I - do - it? That part you just get through it; what you don't finish doing today can generally get done tomorrow).
THANK YOU for this. I needed to hear it from someone who went through it. There are many wonderful happy moments but the bad moments are really bad and my daughter is understanding words now or laughing when he's drunk and mocking or degrading me infront of her cause she thinks he's being silly. And worse, she's repeating it. And getting some time alone will help me realize if I can raise another child on my own but I don't have much time to decide that. Overall time alone is what's needed for sure. When hes gone the house is calm and I'm more successful in my day. I'm so sorry you had to go through it for so long. You're strong if you leave but your strength is truly tested if you stay.