Old 06-23-2021, 01:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Briansy

Originally Posted by Mizz View Post
I did go down memory lane A LOT when I was actively drinking. The last few years were filled with a lot of loss and I found myself overly involved in the emotion of grief. I would look at old pictures or look up old friends or listen to music from my past. A lot of that. A lot of anxiety.

When I got sober I deleted all social media. I stopped looking into the news. I stopped engaging in memory lane activities and worked really hard to be present with the day I was living in. I basically did a massive clean up and threw out all the things that I thought were stopping me from being present and living in my current life. I feel so much better. Much better. Less anxious. More stable. All the good stuff really. It took me awhile to get to feeling "better" of course.

Here. Now. Present. Yes.
Love this post, Mizz. Having come off a big session last Saturday, I went deep into Nostalgia. Listening to hours of Elvis Presley songs on Youtube together with the rest of my usual lineup - listening to songs, being maudlin, possibly crying a bit. Thinking about people from the past. Ugh. Of course if you drink enough the loved up stuff turns to anger and you could find yourself sending someone you haven't spoken to in months a poorly spelled, bile filled message out of the blue - and when you reflect on it the next day you just know the other person is thinking: wow, he really hasn't moved on has he? Still stuck in that rut. That motivation to not be "that guy" and to actually change, grow, get better and move on has to be a pretty decent incentive to get and stay sober. Nice thread.