Old 06-22-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ciowa

Anyone else get LESS nostalgic during recovery?

I used to be a really nostalgic person and it would intensify when I was drinking. I could see an old high school photo while drinking and recall that time like it was yesterday. When I wasn't drinking I often thought of old friends and newer old friends (friends Id met 15 years ago) who I didnt see too often. Same goes for romantic relationships. I could have a gf but then would often think of old gfs. I felt like I was never satisfied with the present and would always look back. The funny thing is I'd often remark that even though I felt like the present was not as good as the past, that this present situation would one day be the "good ol days" i looked back on, and that was true as well.

Since I've been in recovery, I've noticed that I gradually reminisce a lot less than I used to. I still value my past experiences, friends and relationships but they occupy a lot less of my thoughts these days. Im in several social media groups of past sports, college and 20,30 something activities I was involved in but I dont check on them very often anymore.

I find myself looking forward these days. Thinking about how I want the future to look and how I can make the most of it is what I focus on. I didnt make some deliberate reorientation of how I looked at my life but it happened somehow and I wonder if its an outcome of recovery.

Anyone else go through this?