View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 09:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ImNotThatGuy

I just ordered Porter's book and am looking forward to reading it.

Not sure if it's customary or encouraged, but I would like to use this thread as a journal for at least a few days with an eye toward the thread title.

I've been exercising and taking a magnesium tablet before bed, sleeping deeply. No physical withdrawal or anything like that, but when the "witching hour" came yesterday, I did have to beat back the little voice in my head saying, "It's OK to have a drink. What's the big deal? Wouldn't it feel nice?"

That voice is what tosses me off the wagon most of the time. All you have to do is listen to it once to get back on the train to Crazytown, which is kind of unfair because you have to shut it up a thousand times to stay off that train.

Other times it says, "What's the difference? Who cares? Life stinks. Why not enjoy a drink!" or the converse, "Let's celebrate!"

Sometimes it says, "Look at that guy. He is 1000x worse than you ever were. Why not go hang out with your friends at the bar? At least they're not a bunch of sad sacks." (AA is usually the catalyst for that line, unfortunately.)

I think AVRT and therapy are what I need. I need to get to the root of why I keep doing this, or that voice will trick me again sooner or later. One thing I know for sure is that after just a couple of days, I am starting to feel better physically.