Old 06-10-2021, 02:44 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
BettyP

Dry and CB - so sorry to hear about your rough days. Uugh PAWS is SO tough. I have a really hard time trying to explain it to other people because you really can't know unless you've experienced it. One of my anxiety/mental symptoms is that I feel super restless and I like everywhere I go and do I feel like I have to hurry up and finish it so that I can get done, and on to the next, and over and over. On good days, I don't feel this. I don't love it, but I tackle this now by writing out a to-do list and that helps me from spinning out so much - like I can focus on getting one thing done at a time and it takes up the hours of the day when it's a bad day. I use Post-it lined notes haha. It's got like just enough lines so that I can fill it without the list becoming unrealistic.

Dry - the coffee is a big red flag for me regarding your symptoms. Like I was shaking my head :-( Just because you could tolerate it doesn't mean your brain is totally healed, unfortunately. Caffeine is a drug, even if it's not in the same class as alcohol or others. If it can lift your mood it can, and does, affect it in other ways (ie negatively). My sponsor, who has been sober for four years, recently stopped drinking caffeine and she described it as feeling like "a low-grade acid trip" which immediately made me think of PAWS. Also, I think you did the right thing and told on yourself about how you were using it - to elevate your mood. We are alcoholics - we are addicted to feeling good as fast as possible, and when we find something that works we'll do it over and over -- in this case, one cup of coffee turns into three. Which three cups of coffee for a "normal" person is a LOT of caffeine. Three cups for someone still in early recovery is a lot for those freshly-minted receptors. I would take my foot off the gas on the coffee - it's ok to not be ok and not be a "normal" person who can drink tons of coffee.

CB - the electric buzzing did often feel like it was down into my bones during months 4-8ish. I felt that there is no way that just alcohol withdrawal could be the only cause of this, and that surely it was something terrible like MS that nobody was discovering. Around month 10, I crossed a threshold where this faded and then just stopped all together. Now sometimes I just get tingling in my feet. I remember thinking that when people said that when symptoms just fade away, that there was no way that was true - but honest to god that's just exactly how it happens, and it's going to happen to you. Right where you are, timewise, I still had a lot of physical symptoms too - remember that your body doesn't have nerve tissue that's just exclusive to your brain; your whole body is made up of nerve tissue, and all of those receptors had become accustomed to their daily dose of feel-good alcohol. So it's natural that as this nerve tissue heals, you're going to feel that all-over electricity feeling. Think of like when you would take that first couple of sips of wine and how your whole body would ease a little -- those nerve endings are healing, they're just screaming at you right now.

I'm still having good and bad days. But often on my bad days I'll notice that I'm doing something that I would not have been able to tolerate just a few months ago. Like I can say "I feel bad today, but I don't feel THAT bad like before." It ain't much but I'll take it? I really am feeling miles better than month 4, 5, and 6 holy moly - what a terrifying time. Folks who are at those months - it can't be said enough times, really -- this isn't permanent. You will get better.