Old 06-04-2021, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by CLB80 View Post
(because when he is not drinking he is the best husband I could have, he spoils me, and he is a good person, until he drinks) and all I want is for him to be happy or at least at peace. I asked if he needed additional support from AA or another meeting. I honestly wanted to know what was going on in his head.
Hi CLB. I quoted the above because you then go on to say:

he is coming home from work and drinking 6,8,10 beers, all depending on his mood.
So, when is it that he's being "the best husband" to you?

I just wonder if your perception of him is perhaps stuck in the past a bit? Or if it's just hope that he will be again what he was? He's not the goofy drinker anymore, he is an angry alcoholic and he's taking that out on you. Even if he were to get sober today, nothing says he will be as you remember him, years have passed, he is living this life style too and it does have an effect.

Not only is it not great for his mental health issues, as he stated, it is probably also creating more.

As dandylion said, when you threaten his drinking you do become the enemy. He is as attached to alcohol as anything you can imagine, it is his first love, his best friend, above all else (yes, including you).

When he thinks of a life without alcohol, that's a tragedy to him and yet you seem to think it's a good idea!

Now I'm guessing, but that is probably what's going on in his head.

If you can't live with his drinking and he obviously is not in a place where he wants to stop, your options are limited. You can either accept him, just as he is, or leave.

I know ideally you want him to quit, but as he won't, what would you like to do?