View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
advbike

I get where you're at Five. Able to drink somewhat moderately, keeping things kinda under control. Still enjoying the buzz when you can. I was the same, for decades. When I look back though, I see an intelligent and very highly respected guy who slowly caved under the pressure of a mounting addiction until he lost out on most of the opportunities that had been earned or offered to him. All that potential - wasted.

I first started seriously trying to quit at 40 when I was a rising corporate star - promotions every other year, big raises, running a very large organization (600+ people) within a Fortune 50 corporation. Completed my Masters at 43. Unfortunately, I couldn't break free of my addiction, and the stress mounted, so I bailed out a few years later. Did some other stuff for awhile (land development) and truthfully I made some good money at it but it was mostly luck. Eventually I took another, lower level corporate job with less stress. It took me until I was 57 to gain serious sobriety, after I finally quit that one too. The truth was I just couldn't handle the pressure anymore. Too much fear and anxiety, stopped taking risks, needed alcohol to cope. And then after 3 years I went back to drinking because I was so consumed with my failures, and stuck in yet another co-dependent relationship.

When you're in your addiction, nothing else gets resolved, it all just gets worse. Behavioral and emotional disorders, anxiety, all of it. Sometimes fast, sometimes slowly. For me it was very slow, there were no crash and burn disasters, but the years kept going by and the opportunities faded. The whole time I mostly thought I was controlling it, but it was controlling me. It's a shame, really, to look back and see all that was lost.

I hope you can pull free before you do the same, Five. It would be worth it.