Old 04-24-2021, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I don't know if I ever experienced PAWS but I did have a host of weird symptoms (not emotional but some weird, diffuse aches and sometimes feeing lightheaded or dizzy) on/off during the first ~2 months after first getting sober last fall. Everything in my medical exams came back normal. Eventually all those symptoms vanished and none came back even after a brief relapse a bit over a month ago. Looking back now, I am not sure if any of that was related to my drinking at all (although it could have definitely been my body adjusting after many years of heavy alcohol use), perhaps more the high level of stress I experienced for a few months before this March? Will probably never find out now.

I also took CBD for anxiety last year and it was quite effective for me, although more while I was still drinking. Only needed a pretty low dose. I stopped it eventually because I thought I no longer needed it in sobriety, and thought it's better to manage my anxiety (which is never severe if I don't drink) naturally, especially given that the longer-term effects of CBD are still not known at all. I think having a good lifestyle routine (healthy diet, good sleep schedule, exercise) are what help the most and I've also learned come cognitive therapy-type skills from my recovery program and just on my own, I find it's very easy to do without any external help.

The worst thing we can do to manage these things is to drink again. My relapse had nothing to do with coping, but it certainly didn't make any improvements and I only regretted it intensely, it didn't satisfy anything at all. Hope you find some things that make you feel better!