Old 04-24-2021, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
I am tempted to have a few glasses of wine just to see if the symptoms go away so I know indeed it is PAWS and not something else. I have been to lots of doctors and had lots of tests and they can't find anything wrong and say it is my central nervous system adjusting to no alcohol after decades of drinking. Sorry if this is repetitive for some of you that know my story. I am just having a really bad string of days and want to feel good again. Thanks for reading.
Take a step back and think through your logic here CBS - Multiple doctors have already told you that nothing seems to be obviously wrong besides your body adjusting to quitting alcohol. You also know that PAWS itself is not technically a diagnosis - it's basically the same thing the doctors have suggesed, which is your body and mind re-adjusting to and healing from years of abuse. And knowing all that, you are wondering if taking a few drinks might be a good idea? I have to say that from the outside looking in that its classic addiction talking right there - don't listen to it. Drinking any amount of alcohol right now would be the single worst decision you could possibly make as all the things you've been through for the past 192 days would start all over again, and likely be even worse the next time around. It's also possible that if you start drinking again, you''ll never stop - it happens a lot more often than you'd think unfortunately.

So instead of thinking about drinking, how about thinking about some things you might do to help with some of the symptoms you are currently experiencing? Have you considered seeing a counselor to talk about the depression/anxiety issues? Sometimes something as simple as taking a walk and getting some fresh air can help. There are a lot of books available on self-help out there too if you like reading. Making sure you are avoiding other stimulating things like caffeine, sugar and news/social media ( and dr google! ) that can get us all riled up.

Coming here and sharing is in a sense a form of therapy too, and writing it down can help. Re-read your post and pretend you are someone else - what advice might you give? Another thing to remember about PAWS - it is not a life threatening physical diagnosis, and it always gets better - by definition it is a set of symptoms common to recovering addicts and temporary in nature.